Monday, August 20, 2012
My husband has had this hutch for 20 years. It seemed to be making the side of the room it was in dark. Or maybe I was just sick of it. I decided to give it an update.
I rough sanded it.
Painted it Behr paints Bleached Linen.
I sanded the top down.
Stained with a walnut stain.
Still not my favorite piece, but it was fun doing it and now the room is much lighter.
Tuesday, July 17, 2012
Saturday, June 16, 2012
I have off and on been working on creating text art. I have struggled to come up with different formulas that create the product I am looking for without spending huge amounts of money on letter press etc. I do have publisher thanks to my amazing friends but have no idea how to use it. And, if I use publisher, I would basically need to glue a print to a base and wouldn’t get to play around with paint which tends to be my preference. I also don’t want to spend the money on a vinyl letter machine and I couldn’t find any vinyl letters at Joanne’s when I went there the other day.
So I saw on Pinterest how you could make your own vinyl letters.
Of course being the thorough person that I am, I never actually looked at the website or read the instructions or even remembered what product to use.
I bought some contact paper at target which seemed to be the right product to me at the time in the store.
I created some text in PicMonkey. I wasn’t really making a layout, just some letters to cut out.
I printed the letters on contact paper, cut them out and then applied them to a pre-painted board. This whole process was quite tedious. I don’t like cutting things out. I had previously tried another technique of coloring in the letters with pencil and then tracing them onto some other piece I made. That was also VERY tedious and a complete fail. This time I almost quit cutting them out because I was imaging doing all of this work for NOTHING. It’s all a very long learning process.
Once I got the cut out and peeled contact paper on the pre-painted board, I painted the board more colors. I let it dry for an hour and then peeled the contact paper letters off. I used some sand paper to add dimension to the paint layers and then watered down some paste stain and applied it to give it a less bright look.
This was my result.
Better in a frame.
Overall happy with my latest little project.
Tuesday, June 5, 2012
I purchased this pine dresser/ night stand at a second hand shop in Rockland, Maine about four years ago. It’s from a local resort up there and a very solid piece.
I have never been a major fan of pine, but it went with our other bedroom furniture at the time and was definitely an upgrade from our 1970’s composite material bedside tables we had before.
I rough sanded the base, painted it Sherwin Williams Repose Gray, added new hardware, sanded the top, Walnut stained the top and waxed it.
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Before & After. Outdated dresser purchased at a furniture auction.
Hardware removed. Top sanded and stained with walnut paste stain. Door removed. Rough sanded sides and painted with Sherwin Williams Repose Gray. Distressed. Waxed. Rustic hardware added. Thanks, Johnny, for helping with Rustic Hardware.
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
It all began with a pile of wood my Uncle Johnny removed from a farm he was working on and brought to their farm. He was planning on burning it in a bonfire. I had been planning a pallet headboard but just hadn’t gotten around to gathering the pallets over the last few months I had been planning it. So, I created a design in my head to fit our king size sleep number bed. I knew I need a space for the hoses and I didn’t want it too high because of the window behind it.
Johnny helped me screw the boards into the support. He actually did it for me!
Stacey and Johnny put this beast in my car for me. Getting it home was an adventure.
With the rain off an on, it has been difficult to get a few days in a row with now rain to seal it. It took us (Dave and me) a few weeks to seal the old paint in. Then Dave installed it this past weekend.
Just after installation.
With less pillows so you can see more of the headboard.
Another with less pillows to see more of the headboard.